Conduct fast and robust PCR-based GMO detection from your favourite foods!
Humans have been modifying plants since the dawn of civilisation through the domestication of crops. Modern biotechnology and genetic engineering allow scientists and breeders to rapidly confer very specific traits by introducing particular genes directly into plants. Test for genetically engineered elements from foods and plant tissues using PCR.
Key info and benefits:
- Techniques: Micropipetting, DNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis
- Time required:120 minutes
- Suggested skill level:
- The miniPCR GMO Detection Lab kit contains reagents for 8 lab groups of 4 students. These reagents are compatible with blueGel™ or other standard DNA electrophoresis systems.
- DNA-EZ™ DNA Extraction System: Lysis and Neutralisation Solutions
- 5X EZ PCR Master Mix, Load-Ready™
- GMO Lab Primer Mix
- 2 control DNA samples (GMO and non-GMO)
- 100 bp DNA ladder
- See resources below to download the lab teacher's guide and student guide. Contact team @ Southern Biological for answers key.
- To perform this lab, you will require electrophoresis equipment; such as electrophoresis chamber, agarose, TBE buffer and Midori green gel stain. Our electrophoresis starter kit contains the hardware and reagents required (except the thermal cycler). Additionally, you will require a thermal cycler. We recommend the miniPCR mini 8 thermal cycler.
- For best results, we recommend running your gels in the blueGel electrophoresis chamber. If you do not have a blueGel electrophoresis unit with built-in illuminator, we have a transilluminator onto which you can place your gels to visualise your results immediately.
- These DNA samples require frozen storage, which will keep them stable for 12 months.