Fast and robust PCR-based GMO detection. In a simple 3-step experimental protocol your will amplify genetically engineered elements from foods and plant tissues. Engage in a real-world biotechnology application relevant to agriculture, environmental science, and the food industry.
You can now foster evidence-based debate around GMOs through an engaging, hands-on biotech experiment. Humans have been modifying plants since the dawn of civilization through the domestication of crops including rice, wheat, and maize, among others. Today, modern biotechnology and genetic engineering allow scientists and breeders to confer very specific traits rapidly by introducing particular genes directly into plants. Society is still weighing the benefits and potential risks of agricultural biotechnology. This miniPCR Learning Lab™ aims to foster evidence-based debate on genetically engineered plants (also referred to as GMOs).
This miniPCR Learning Lab™ utilizes the following molecular techniques:
- Genomic DNA extraction from foods and plant tissues
- PCR (polymerase chain reaction) amplification of transgenes
- DNA Gel electrophoresis, staining, and visualization
- Highlights real-world applications of molecular biology in agriculture and the food industry.
The miniPCR GMO Detection Lab kit contains reagents for 8 lab groups of 4 students:
- DNA-EZ™ DNA Extraction System: Lysis and Neutralization Solutions
- 5X EZ PCR Master Mix, Load-Ready™
- GMO Lab Primer Mix
- 2 control DNA samples (GMO and non-GMO)
- 100 bp DNA ladder
- These reagents require frozen storage.
- Microtubes and electrophoresis reagents sold separately.