Description: G43.01 Bulk Biotech pack includes a blueGel and miniPCR which are both lightweight and easy to use, offering an affordable introduction to biotechnology. PCR is Polymerase Chain Reaction, a technique which uses thermal cycling to heat up DNA to separate the strands (“melting” or “denaturation”), then the temperature is lowered, allowing primers to bind to targeted sections of each molecule after which the enzyme polymerase continues adding nucleotides to the rest of the original strands (“replication”). The heating/cooling cycles are repeated to your specifications, each time doubling the number of DNA molecules until you have amplified your sample enough to register on your electrophoresis gel.
Electrophoresis is a method by which molecules, in this case DNA, are run by an electric field through a gel which acts as a sieve or net to separate the molecules based on size or electric charge. As DNA molecules all have the same charge, they are separated by size. Smaller molecules will pass more easily through the “net” and so will travel further in the same time than larger molecules. In this way, your amplified DNA is separated into bands which are visible in the blueGel unit by fluorescing with Midori green stain under the blue light.
- 1 x blueGel™ electrophoresis chamber with built in power supply
- 1 x miniPCR™ Mini8 PCR thermal cycler
- 1 x Dlab 2-20uL variable micropipette
- 2 x 300ul sterilised tip rack G40.635
- This bundle is perfect for the antibiotic resistance, Missy Baker and GMO detection labs.
- The labs which include restriction enzymes (genes in space and PTC taster labs) will also require a micropipette with 1uL capacity and white tips.
- The thermal cycler can also be used to incubate small volumes - up to 0.2mL - at a specific temperature, such as in the P51 enzyme lab.