By Barbara Dungey, 285 pages, soft cover.
This is the "must have" manual for laboratory managers and technicians in schools. This revised printing is made up of seven sections plus a comprehensive index:
- Chemicals and Gases. A full reference section followed by a detailed table of information on common laboratory chemicals.
- Recipes and Beyond. Recipes, formulas and procedures for preparing just about anything you might ever need in your laboratory. Not sure how to prepare a solution of methyl cellulose for microscopy, or how to make play dough? This is the place to look.
- Indicators, Stains and Test Reagents. A full reference section followed by an alphabetical list of methods for preparing and using dozens of indicators, stains and test reagents.
- The ABC of Media. This is the section for microbiologists. The reference section covers procedures and methods for preparing media and cultures, choosing and using the right equipment, and working safely with micro-organisms. This is followed by an exhaustive list of recipes for dozens of different culture media.
- Electronic Components. Covers the function and use of electrical components, symbols, circuit diagrams and trouble shooting.
- Conversions. Very useful when explaining American non-metric terminology (e.g. how many litres in a US gallon?), and for seeing how far we have come (e.g. how many pecks make a bushel?).
- Units, Symbols and Constants. A comprehensive and definitive reference for every property and value you'll ever encounter, and then some.