Description: Transform bacteria and watch it glow!
When bacteria (E. coli) is transformed bacteria with a gene from Aequorea Victoria (a bioluminescent jellyfish), the green fluorescent protein (GFP) of the Aequorea victoria will be expressed in the bacteria; causing them to glow bright green under UV light. Using bacterial plasmid-based genetic transformation, students transform E. coli bacteria to express new genetic information employing a plasmid system and applying mathematical routines to determine transformation efficiency.
Key Info and Benefits:
- Using the gene from Aequorea Victoria (bioluminescent jellyfish) is a fantastic and exciting way for students to observe bacterial transformation in action.
- Students gain valuable experience in sterile technique and employing a plasmid system.
- Teaching guide included to help you lead the investigation.
- Additional helpful online resources available, including product video.Perfect for studies of gene expression.
- Most required equipment is provided, making this investigation easy to setup and run.
- A micropipette capable of aliquotting 10uL is also required, eg the fixed-volume student mini micropipette or the variable 0.5-10uL micropipette as well as tips to fit
Kit Includes: This kit contains enough materials for 8 lab stations allowing up to 32 student participation.
- 16 x Transformation tube, 13mL, sterile
- 80 x Transfer pipette, sterile (1mL). M6004
- 8 x CaCl2, 50mM, sterile (10mL)
- 16 x Inoculation loop, sterile, disposable. E3.40
- 8 x Luria broth, sterile, (10mL).
- 32 x Inoculation spreader, sterile, disposable. E3.45
- 24 x LB Agar Plates (Perishable, Store in Fridge). MED6.30.
- 16 x LB Agar Ampicillin Plates (Perishable, Store in Fridge)
- 1 x E.coli MM294, LB in broth (Perishable, Store in Fridge)
- 1 x P Green Plasmid, 100μL (Perishable, Store in Freezer or for up to two weeks in the fridge)