Description: PM1.305 is a Dissectible Bony Fish (Perch) specimen preserved in Formalin and packed in Carosafe. Carosafe® is Carolina Biological's proprietary shipping and holding fluid for specimens that have been previously fixed in formalin. Although specimens are first preserved with a formalin solution, they are then washed and placed in formaldehyde-free Carosafe®. Holding the specimen in Carosafe® reduces the presence of formaldehyde residues left over from the initial preserving process, thereby diminishing or eliminating unpleasant odor. This produces a formalin-preserved specimen that, when dissected, minimizes student and educator exposure to formaldehyde.
Perch are vertebrates in the class Osteichthyes, the bony fishes. Preserved Perch are ideal for:
- Exploring external anatomy, internal organs, and organ systems through guided dissection.
- Introducing the anatomy of vertebrates.
- Studying regulation and behaviour.
- Investigating the diversity and adaptations of Perch
- Carosafe® specimens should be washed before use and dissected in well ventilated rooms with appropriate hand, eye and body protection.
- For best results, carefully unpack your delivery of preserved specimens as soon as it arrives. Store the specimens in the dark in a single layer on a flat surface. A drawer or cupboard shelf is ideal. Do not refrigerate.
- Avoid stacking the specimens on top of each other or otherwise putting weight on them. Undue pressure can cause breakages in brittle specimens such as crayfish and grasshoppers, and can cause deformation of soft-tissue specimens such as brains and kidneys.